Second phase of Dubai’s MBR Solar Park ‘80% complete’
Phase to go operational by April 2017, says Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA)
- Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) has confirmed that 80% of the second phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park is complete as of mid-December 2016.
- The project is the largest single-site solar park in the world based on the independent power producer (IPP) model.
- The second phase is the first and largest of its kind in the UAE and will eventually generate 200 megawatts (MW) of electricity by April 2017.
- To date, 75% of the 2.2 million photovoltaic panels have been installed. During the installation, no injuries were recorded, with over 1 million safe man-hours logged.
- The project occupies 4.5 sq. km. with an investment of about $327 million. Shuaa Energy 1 is a company established by DEWA to complete the project in line with UAE legislation.
- DEWA is the majority shareholder at 51% with Saudi Arabia’s ACWA Power and the Spanish industrial group TSK taking the remaining stake.